Please read this form carefully as some of the terms have changed!
The Call for Papers closes June 1, 2010.
Fill out this form to start yourself down the path of DEF CON madness. Without people like yourself submitting to present, there would be no Con! You are a King!
This method requires you to cut and paste the text into the body of an email, text or file and send the materials to: talks\at/defcon dot org
If you are submitting multiple topics, complete a form for each topic. All parts of the form must be submitted in its entirety or the review for your submission may be delayed. All information given in the CFP process will be held confidential, and not released to anyone outside DEF CON.
If all goes well you should receive a confirmation email approximately 2 business days after you submit that we got it and have no problems deciphering it.
If you need added privacy feel free to PGP encrypt it to email@example.com PGP key (Key ID 0x308D3094) available here: https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dtangent.html
DEF CON 18 Call for Papers Form
Date of Submission:
Primary Speaker Name*:
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Additional Speakers' name(s)* & titles:
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Primary Speaker Phone Number:
Has the speaker spoken at a previous DEF CON? Yes or No
*No real name is necessary but you will need to provide one once you are selected and matching id at speaker check-in order for you to be paid. If this is a big problem we can sort something out.
Is there a specific day or time you MUST speak by?
If you are submitting to speak at Black Hat as well, is your ability or willingness to speak predicated on your talk being accepted at Black Hat? Yes or No (Warning: Attempts to leverage a speaking slot at Black Hat based on this criteria will fail)
Name of Presentation:
How much time does your presentation require? 20 minutes (for the Twelve Hundred Second Spotlight), 50 minutes or 110 minutes, or 1/2 day Thursday (please specify)
Is there a demonstration? Yes or No
Are you releasing a new tool? Yes or No
Are you releasing a new exploit? Yes or No
Is there audience participation? Yes or No
Has this presentation been given in any other venue or conference? Yes or No
If yes, please list dates, venues, and how this version of your presentation is going to be different than the past version. We are looking for unique talks, so help us understand how you talk has been updated.
What are your equipment needs?
Will you require more than 1 LCD projector feed? Yes or No - if yes, please specify how many.
Will you require wireless internet access? Yes or No
Will you require wired internet access? Yes or No
Will you require a white board? Yes or No
Are there any other special equipment needs that you will require? Yes or No - if yes, please specify
You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk - show us how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. The outline may be provided in a separate attachment and may be as simple as a text file or as detailed as a "barebones" presentation. The more information you provide to us, the better chance we have of giving your presentation fair scrutiny. Presentations that are submitted without outlines (eg that have only ppt or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
This text will be used for the website and printed materials. In a nutshell, what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use these paragraphs to tell people how technical the talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session. Presentations that are submitted without abstracts (eg that have only ppt or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
Additional files/materials? Yes or No
Type of file(s):
Powerpoint, Word, PDF or Other (please describe)
Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with this email to talks/at/defcon dot org. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are NOT asking for a complete presentation for submission along with the CFP - That will come after you are selected.
This text will be used for the website and printed materials. Cover any professional history that is relevant to the presentation, including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be considered.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner.
If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation; including, but not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, hand outs(s) to the conference attendees for educational, on-line and all other purposes.
Yes, I, (insert primary speaker name), have read the above and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use.
Agreement to Terms of Speaking Requirements
If I am selected to speak, I, (insert your name here), understand that I must complete and fulfill the following requirements or I will forfeit my honorarium:
1) I will submit a completed (and possibly updated) presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the conference CD by noon PST, June 30, 2010.
2) I understand if I fail to submit a completed presentation by June 30, 2010, I may be replaced by an alternate presentation or may forfeit my honorarium. This decision will be made by DEF CON and I will be informed in writing of my status.
3) I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
4) I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over the time allocation.
5) I understand that DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, and video switch box. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.
6) I will submit, within 5 days of the completion of the conference, any updated, revised or additional presentation(s) or materials that were used in my presentation but not included on the conference CD or conference proceedings.
I, (insert your name here), have read the above and understand and agree to the terms as detailed in the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Requirements.
Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration
1) I understand that I will be responsible for my own hotel and travel expenses.
2) I understand that DEF CON will issue one payment per presentation.
3) I understand that in order to be paid, I must provide a valid name and snail mail address. US citizens will be paid with a company check. Non-US citizens will be paid via money order or company check.
4) I understand that the name and address that I provide to the on-site speaker liaison is where the payment will be sent if I do not pick up payment during the con.
5) I understand that I will be paid $200 USD, within 30 days from the end of the conference, after I have completed my presentation. I may choose to waive my $200 speaking fee in exchange for 2 DEF CON Human badges.
6) I understand that the above payment or badge options are offered for 50 and 110 minute presentations only. 20 minute presentations are not eligible for payment, but will still recieve a speaker badge free of charge.
7) I understand that should my talk be determined to be unsuitable (e.g. a vendor or sales pitch, a talk on the keeping of goats, etc) after I have presented, that I will not receive an honorarium.
I, (insert your name here), have read the above and understand and agree to the terms as detailed in the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration or I will forfeit my honorarium.
Congratulations and good luck!