DEF CON 22 Call for Papers Form
Your submission must contain all the following information.
- • Presenter Information
- • Presentation Information
- • Scheduling Information
- • Equipment requirements
- • Speaker Bio(s)
- • Abstract
- • Outline
- • Supporting Files
- • Submission Agreements
These requirements are outlined below. Please be as detailed as possible so that our selection group can best evaluate your presentation against other submissions.
Failure to provide any of the above information may invalidate your submission. Submitting only a whitepaper, PDF, or other document, without all the above information, will be considered an incomplete submission and will not be considered.
You could read more about CFP submission requirements at: https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-speakerscorner.html#nikita-cfp, this will give you helpful tips and pointers regarding CFPs.
Please cut and paste your submission into the body of an email or within a .txt file. We request that applications are in plain text to avoid formatting errors. Please do not submit applications in .Pdf, .docx, .odf, or any other formats, else it may delay your review. Additional supporting materials that may help in the selection process such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. can be attached and included in other formats.
Primary Speaker Name*:
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Primary Speaker Phone Number:
Primary Speaker postal address:
(Address is required if you would like us to mail your honorarium payment; you can also pick up payment on-site at the conference following your presentation)
Additional Speakers' name(s)* & titles:
Additional Email Addresses:
Has the speaker(s) spoken at a previous DEF CON?
DEF CON promotes you as a speaker in several ways. We build a twitter list of all accepted speakers, we include your social media information on the web site and printed program so you get more followers, and sometimes retweet what you are up to.
Please list the social media names and links that you'd like us to include in our promotion (Twitter, Facebook, etc):
*No real name is necessary for submission; however if you are selected we will need your real name in order to complete your speaking honorarium payment. If that is problematic for you, please let us know to consider other arrangements.
Is there a demonstration? Yes or No
Are you releasing a new tool? Yes or No
Are you releasing a new exploit? Yes or No
Is there audience participation? Yes or No
Length of presentation? (20 minutes, 45 minutes or 90 minutes)
Are you currently submitting this topic to any other conferences held prior to DEF CON 22?
Are you submitting to Black Hat USA? Yes or No
Has this presentation been given or accepted to any other venue or conference? Yes or No
If yes to either question, please list dates, venues, and how this version of your presentation is going to be different. We are looking for unique talks, so help us understand how you talk has been updated.
Is your ability or willingness to speak predicated on your talk being accepted at Black Hat USA? Yes or No
Is there a specific day or time by which you must present?*
* We work diligently to accommodate special speaking time-slots, but cannot guarantee any specific availability. We have dozens of presentations to arrange so we ask that you be available for speaking at any time during the conference. If you have special circumstances limiting when you can speak, please let us know ASAP otherwise we may not be able to accept your submission.
Equipment needs & special requests (DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, wired and/or wireless Internet)
Will you require more than 1 LCD projector feed? Yes or No
If yes, please specify how many and why.
Will you require a white board? Yes or No
Are there any other special equipment needs that you will require?
This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should bewritten in the third person. Cover any professional history that is relevant to the presentation, including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be considered.
Your abstract will be used for the website and printed materials. Summarize what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform about how technical your talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session.
You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk - show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. The outline may be provided in a separate attachment and may be as simple as a text file or as detailed as a "bare bones" presentation. The better your outline then the better we are able to best review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted).
SUBMISSION NOTE: Presentations that are submitted without abstracts, outlines, or speaker bios (e.g. that have only pdf's, ppt's, or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with this email to talks[at]defcon[dot]org. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission – That will only be required if you are selected for presenting.
Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name where noted. Failure to do so will render your submission incomplete. Please read these carefully as some of the terms have changed.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.
Terms of Speaking Requirements
1) I will submit a completed presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the conference CD by 12:00 noon PST, July 15, 2014.
2) I will submit a final Abstract and Biography for the DEF CON website and Printed Conference Materials by 12:00 noon PST, June 20, 2014.
3) I understand if I fail to submit a completed presentation by July 15, 2014, I may be replaced by an alternate presentation or may forfeit my honorarium. This decision will be made by DEF CON and I will be informed in writing of my status.
4) I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
5) I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over, or excessively under the time allocation.
6) I understand that DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, wired and/or wireless Internet. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.
7) If applicable, I will submit within 5 days of the completion of the conference any updated, revised or additional presentation(s) or materials that were used in my presentation but not included on the conference CD or conference proceedings.
Terms of Speaking Remuneration
1) I understand that I will be responsible for my own hotel and travel expenses.
2) I understand that DEF CON will issue one $300 payment per presentation.
3) I understand that I may receive payment on-site at the conference. If not, I must provide a valid name and postal mail address so that payment may be mailed. Payment will be made in form of corporate check. In some rare cases, you may be required to complete a W8 (Non-U.S. Citizen) or W9 (U.S. Citizen) before payment is issued.
4) I understand that I will be paid 30 days from the end of the conference, after I have completed my presentation. I may choose to waive my $300 speaking fee in exchange for 3 DEF CON Human badges.
5) I understand that should my talk be determined to be unsuitable (e.g. a vendor or sales pitch, a talk on the keeping of goats, etc.) after I have presented, that I will not receive an honorarium.
As detailed above,
I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use.
I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Terms of Speaking Requirements.
I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration or I will forfeit my honorarium.
If you have not received confirmation of your submission after two business days of submission, contact us again at talks[at]defcon[dot]org. Good luck!