CFP English | CFP 中文
Call For Papers
If you are submitting multiple talks, please submit them separately.
Put yourself in the shoes of the DEF CON Review Board. You would want to read well thought out, complete, submissions without having to load special document viewers or visit external web sites. You would want to read the entire submission without having to lookup acronyms or research prior works. You would have hundreds of submissions to evaluate and so the most complete ones would stand out to you.
With that in mind your submission must contain all the following information.
- Presenter Information
- Presentation Information
- Speaker Bio(s)
- Scheduling Information
- Equipment requirements
- Supporting Files
- Signed Submission Agreements
Please be as detailed as possible so that our review board can best evaluate your presentation against other submissions.
HOW TO GET YOUR SUBMISSION REJECTED:
- Submissions with incomplete application forms.
- Submissions without an abstract, detailed outline, bio.
- Submissions that have sent in only attached slides, papers, or point to a URL.
- Submissions that have withheld details, or have knowingly falsified details.
You can read more about the CFP submission process and FAQ at: https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-speakerscorner.html#leah-cfp-process
Please cut and paste your submission into the body of an email or within a .txt file. We request that applications are in plain text only to avoid disfiguring formatting errors. Please do not submit your application in .pdf, .docx, .odf, mdf, or any other formats, else it may delay your review. Submit in one text file only, do not submit each section individually. Do not add decorative section breaks or ascii tomfoolery to the application.
Deadline to submit is March 15, 2018. It is recommended you submit a submission as soon as you can, we may close early if we receive enough quality content to fill the schedule. Send to talks ]at[ defcon [dot] org.
DEF CON will provide hotel accommodations for organizers coming from outside China, and will provide up to $800 for airfare, please contact us for details. Unless you hold an APEC travel card, you will need a visa. Contact us as soon as possible with your full passport details and birthdate in order to request a visa invitation letter from our host. Please note, It is recommended that your passport has at least 6 months validity from May 11, 2018.
DEF CON CHINA [Beta] CFP FORM
Primary Speaker Name or Pseudonym*:
*No real name is necessary for submission; however if you are selected we will need your real name in order to register you and to complete your speaking honorarium payment. If disclosing your identity is problematic, please let us know. We can plan for alternative means of authentication.
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Additional Speaker name(s)* and titles:
Has the speaker(s) spoken at a previous DEF CON? If Yes what years? Under a pseudonym?
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Backup Email, in case of communication failure:
Primary Speaker Phone Number:
Co-Speaker (s) Email Addresses:
Co-Speaker Phone Number(s):
DEF CON promotes you as a speaker in several ways. We build a Twitter list of all accepted speakers, we tweet about you, share your posts, etc. We include your social media information on the web site within your bio, so people can contact or “follow” you. Please list all the links that you'd like us to share. (Twitter, Facebook, website, WeChat, etc):
I would like my submission sent in *anonymously to the review board. The human CFP processor will manually remove the presenter information and bio(s) for the listed presenter(s): Yes or No
*I have removed PII from any attached slides, white papers, or materials; I acknowledge I’m responsible for the metadata in my content.
Date of Submission:
Is there a demonstration? Yes or No
Is there audience participation? Yes or No
If yes, how?
Are you releasing a new tool? Yes or No
If yes, under which license?
Are you releasing a new exploit? Yes or No
Are there any contingencies that might prevent releasing the exploit (e.g. vendor relationships)? Yes or No
If you are releasing vulnerabilities, clearly break them down and abstract as a vulnerability database would. Include the vendor(s), product(s), and version(s) affected.
Length of presentation? (20 minutes, 45 minutes,105 minutes.)
Are you currently submitting this topic to any other conferences held prior to DEF CON CHINA [Beta]? If yes, please list where.
DEF CON will cover the hotel accommodations for all foreign speakers, but airfare will vary and depend on budget/availability. Is your ability or willingness to speak predicated on your airfare being covered or supplemented by DEF CON? Yes or No
Your abstract will be used for the website and printed materials. Summarize what your presentation will cover.
Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform about how technical your talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation.
This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session, but should not give them the entire content of the talk. We request you keep your abstract well over 140 characters, but at or under the 1337 maximum.
This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should be written in the third person. Cover any professional or hacker history that is relevant to you and the presentation, you may include past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. If you prefer, you may write your bio under a pseudonym.
This is the most important section on the application. You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk - show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. Your outline should be in simple text. Please do not submit slides, Docs, or PDF’s as an outline.
If you are submitting a panel, it’s encouraged to list what each panel member will contribute to on the outline, as well as the estimated time budgeted for those bullet points.
The review board likes submissions that include references to prior works and research you used in developing your presentation. The detailed your outline then the better we are able to best review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted).
SCHEDULING & EQUIPMENT NEEDS
DEF CON CHINA [Beta], will be held, May 11-13, 2018. Is there a specific day or time by which you must present?*
* We work to accommodate special speaking time-slots, but cannot guarantee any specific availability. We have dozens of presentations to arrange so we ask that you be available for speaking at any time during the conference. If you have special circumstances limiting when you can speak, please let us know ASAP otherwise we may not be able to accept your submission.
Equipment needs & special requests
Will you require more than 1 LCD projector feed? Yes or No
If yes, please specify how many and why.
Are there any other special equipment needs that you will require?
Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with this email to talks[at]defcon[dot]org. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission – That will only be required if you are selected for presenting.
If you are speaking or submitting anonymously you are responsible for removing metadata and PII from materials that may reveal your identity.
Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name where noted. Failure to do so will render your submission incomplete. Please read these carefully as some of the terms have changed.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.
Terms of Speaking Requirements
1) I will submit a completed presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the DEF CON media server, to be released the day of the conference, by 12:00 noon pacific, April 15, 2018.
2) I will submit a final Abstract and Biography for the DEF CON website and Printed Conference Materials by 12:00 noon pacific, March 15, 2018.
3) I understand if I fail to submit a completed presentation by April 15, 2018, I may be replaced by an alternate presentation or may forfeit my honorarium. This decision will be made by DEF CON and I will be informed in writing of my status.
4) I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
5) I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over, or excessively under the time allocation.
6) I understand that DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, wired and/or wireless Internet. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.
7) If applicable, I will submit within 5 days of the completion of the conference any updated, revised or additional presentation(s) or materials that were used in my presentation but not included on the conference CD or conference proceedings.
Terms of Speaking Remuneration
1) I understand that I will be responsible for my own travel expenses. DEF CON will cover the hotel accommodations for all foreign speakers, but airfare will vary and depend on budget/availability. I understand I will need to apply and have travel fees preauthorized.
2) I understand that DEF CON will issue one $300 USD Payment per presentation to the primary speaker only. Payment will be made in form of company check. I may choose to waive my $300 honorarium in exchange for 3 DEF CON Human badges, received at the start of the conference. I may also choose to donate my honorarium to charity.
3) I understand that I may receive payment on-site at the conference. If selecting the $300 payment as my honorarium, I must provide a valid name and postal mail address so that the payment may be mailed. In some rare cases, I may be required to complete a W8 (Non-U.S. Citizen) or W9 (U.S. Citizen) before payment is issued.
4) I understand that I will be paid within 30 days from the end of the conference, after I have completed my presentation. I understand that should my talk be determined to be unsuitable (e.g. a vendor or sales pitch, a talk on the keeping of goats, etc.) after I have presented, that I will not receive an honorarium.
As detailed above, I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use. I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Terms of Speaking Requirements. I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration or I will forfeit my honorarium.
If you have not received confirmation of your submission after two business days of submission, contact us again at talks[at]defcon[dot]org.
TIPS: Please check your spam folder, whitelist defcon.org, and search for mail from nikita[at]defcon[dot]org.